I’ve always loved Mexican dishes like tacos and burritos, but enchiladas are a bit newer to me. I tried my first enchilada a few years ago at a Mexican restaurant back home called Sam Diego’s and was in heaven. Smothered in cheese and enchilada sauce, what’s not to love?
Recently I made enchiladas from scratch for the first time and realized how easy they are to make. The recipe I used called for a green enchilada sauce, but this time I decided I wanted a more traditional red sauce. I adore chipotle peppers in adobo sauce so I based my recipe around that. They are smoky, spicy, and sweet. I quickly learned to remove the seeds from the peppers after failing to do so once and practically crying by the time my meal was finished – way too spicy for me!
These Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas are filled with shredded chicken, black beans, and avocado, then covered in a spicy chipotle enchilada sauce and finished off with cheddar cheese. This meal is filling and surprisingly good for you. I recommend removing the seeds from the chipotle peppers, unless you like things extra spicy. The sauce is moderately spicy even without the seeds.
First we’ll make the chipotle enchilada sauce:
Chipotle Enchilada Sauce:
makes about 1.5 cups
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeds removed and diced + 2 tsp adobo sauce*
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp flour
*If you’re sensitive to spicy things, use only 1 pepper and taste the sauce as you go along.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over low-medium heat. Add diced onion and cook for about 10 minutes, until softened. Add red pepper and garlic and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes until soft and golden brown.
- After peppers and onions have cooled slightly, add to food processor along with all remaining enchilada sauce ingredients. Blend until smooth.
Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas
makes 4 enchiladas
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 cup prepared chipotle enchilada sauce (see below for recipe)
- 4 8-inchwhole wheat tortillas
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese, divided in half
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. In a medium mixing bowl, toss shredded chicken with 1/3 cup of prepared chipotle enchilada sauce to coat. Arrange chicken on tortillas, about 1/2 cup of chicken per tortilla.
- To each tortilla, add 1/4 cup diced avocado, 2 Tbsp black beans and about 2 Tbsp of cheese. Wrap up each tortilla tightly and place in a lightly greased 8 x 8″ baking dish.
- Pour remaining 2/3 cup enchilada sauce over tortillas, along with the rest of the cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. Serve with chopped cilantro and a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt.