I felt kind of silly writing the title for this recipe, but at the same time it seemed appropriate. The title was inspired by two different things: green/”power” smoothies and also the Breakfast Power Sandwich at Panera Bread.
This breakfast sandwich includes lots of yummy healthy green foods, such as spinach, avocado, scallions, and basil pesto. It’s a filling and nutritious sandwich that is sure to keep you satisfied and give you energy. I love to eat these an hour and a half or two before the gym, or when I know I won’t be eating again for a while because they’re very filling. I’m in love with the flavor combination and have been making these at least once a week lately.
I actually never really used to eat eggs until a little over a year ago. An egg by itself kind of grossed me out and the only way I would eat it was in a sandwich. That’s when I came up with the post Ideas for a Healthier Breakfast, which also included my first photo to make it onto foodgawker about a year ago. Since then I’ve been kinda crazy over breakfast sandwiches and all the different combinations I can come up with. I went from eating eggs on a rare occasion to almost everyday. Shows how your tastes change as you get older!
I’ve also tried to photograph this sandwich on three separate occasions, and none of the photos have come out quite how I wanted them to, but oh well. Some recipes just don’t photograph well, and I still have a lot to learn about food photography. But I really wanted to share this sandwich with all of you, so here it is!
Green Power Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 whole wheat or 100-calorie English muffin
- 1 large egg
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp basil pesto
- small handful of fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 avocado, sliced thin
- In a small frying pan, cook your egg to your liking. While your egg is cooking, toast your English muffin. After flipping your egg, top with chopped scallions and parmesan cheese and cover with a lid to let the cheese melt. Remove from heat.
- To assemble your sandwich, first spread 1 tsp of pesto on each side of your English muffin. Put spinach leaves on the bottom piece of muffin and place egg on top. Top off with sliced avocado and the other half of the muffin and enjoy!