I had a recipe planned out for some grilled shrimp, but my mom requested I make my “famous” brownies for our Memorial Day cookout tomorrow. Famous meaning, they come from a box and everyone knows it. But I must say, not all boxed brownie mix is created equal. I strongly recommend Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Brownie mix. They are decadent, fudgy, and have dark chocolate chips in the mix. They are the best boxed brownies I’ve ever had and they never fail to please guests.
In honor of Memorial Day, I wanted to add a fun raspberry and cream cheese swirl to these brownies, inspired by two different recipes. Growing up, my aunt Ellen would often make brownies with cream cheese swirled on top and we always loved them. In college, my favorite dessert from the dining hall was their delicious raspberry swirl brownies, topped off with raspberry preserves. I’ve always loved the combination of chocolate and raspberry, and also raspberry and cream cheese, and so the idea for these brownies was born. But after a failed attempt using cream cheese for this recipe, I realized it was too thick to achieve the “swirl” and I decided yogurt would work better.
Anyway, these brownies are super delicious and decadent. They are deceivingly simple to make, using boxed brownie mix and using a tooth pick to swirl raspberry preserves and vanilla yogurt. The brownies are rich and fudgy and the yogurt and raspberry swirl is a nice break from the intensity of the chocolate. You certainly don’t have to use Ghirardelli brownie mix (though I seriously recommend it) – you can use whichever your favorite type is and they will come out delicious regardless.
Easy Raspberry Vanilla Swirl Brownies
makes 1 8 x 8″ pan
- 1 box of your favorite brownie mix, plus the ingredients required to make the brownies (mine calls for oil, water, and an egg)
- 1/3 cup raspberry preserves or jam
- 1/3 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 325ºF and lightly grease an 8 x 8 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Prepare your brownie mix as instructed on the box directions, and pour into greased pan.
- In a sandwich-sized Ziploc bag, pour in raspberry preserves and seal. In a separate Ziploc bag, pour in vanilla yogurt and seal. Cut off the tip of the corner of each bag.
- Squeeze the yogurt in a straight line onto the prepared brownie mix, from top to bottom. Make 4 stripes across. Repeat this with the raspberry preserves. Drag a toothpick across the surface from left to right starting at the top, and then from right to left directly under the first line, alternating until you reach the bottom and a zigzag or chevron design is achieved.
- Bake according to box directions and let cool before slicing. Serve with a tall glass of milk or as dessert at your Memorial Day festivities 🙂
Happy Memorial Day!